Canada Geese Control Strategies

Canada Geese Control Methods that Require a Permit

Remember, Canada Geese are a federally protected bird. You can only hurt them during a regulated hunting season, unless you have a permit.

Pyrotechnics/sonic devices for Canada Geese

These are exploding devices that are shot from a 12 gauge shot gun. They cause a loud bang when they are fired and when they explode some thirty yards away. They can be very effective when used as soon as the flock begins to use the pond or property. But if they become established its effectiveness is lessened or may be only temporary. The problem with these devices is the legal restrictions on their use on account that they are considered firearms. Before you buy them be sure to check with your police department to see if they will permit its use.

Egg Addling of Canada Geese

Also known as shaking the eggs. This method requires the eggs be shaken but not broken. Shaking the eggs kills the embryo. If you break the eggs, the mother goose may just lay more. Obviously, this technique doesn't help you resolve your present problem but it will help reduce geese populations next year. You must have a permit to disturb Canada Geese nests in any way.

*Egg Coating: As in addling, this method helps control geese damage by reducing future population growth. Essentially, by coating the eggs with mineral oil, you prevent starve the embryonic goose of air. Obviously this results in death.


Methyl Anthranilate for Canada Geese

Sold under trade name "Rejex-it". Don't know much about this product yet. However, it appears that one sprays this organic chemical on the grass and it keeps the geese from eating on the grass. It seems that the solution is irritating to the Geese's mouth. As with other methods, this one does require permits.

One of my visitors was kind enough to pass along his information on getting permission to use this product. Here is what he said.

Hello, again. I have followed up on the question of required permits for use of Methyl Anthranilate for Canada Goose control (Rejex-It) and thought I would let you know of my findings, which you can pass on to anyone else with a similar question. First, the best person to talk to about Federal issues in Canada Goose control would be Laura Henze, who is the federal wildlife biologist assigned to Massachusetts in Amherst. Her phone number is 413-253-2403. She indicated that there would not be a federal permit required for use of Methyl Anthranilate, as there would be for egg addling or other such measures. However, she did indicate it was possible there might be State requirements. I followed this up with the Massachusetts Agriculture Department, and they informed me that while there is no specific permit required for the use of the substance, it can only be applied by a State licensed pesticide applicator. I hope this is useful information for you. Thanks again for your help.



Other Techniques

According to my sources, introducing mute swans (Cygnus olor) produces mixed results (like most repellent techniques). Sometimes they fight canada geese other times they cohabitate.  According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Atlantic Flyway Council, do not introduce mute swans as they have negative impacts on aquatic environments, for example they reduce the aquatic carrying capacity for other waterfowl. Tim Julien president of the Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator's Association, states that he has never seen mute swans effectively resolve a Canada goose problem. Remember, if you get rid of Canada Geese using mute swans, you may simply replace one problem with another.


If you would like a copy of "Managing Canada Geese in Urban Environments", a booklet covering all the available Canada Geese control techniques available visit books.php

For more on controlling Canada Geese click canadageesenonpermit.php

Want a Goose Control Professional to do the Work? e-mail us


Please before asking questions visit questions so that we can help you better.

e-mail* All correspondence becomes property of WDC


Wildlife Damage Control provides sales, service and consultation on a variety of wild animal damage control problems. If you have a topic that you would like addressed feel free to send it to use by mail, phone or fax. Please note that all correspondence becomes property of WDC. We are licensed in Massachusetts and Connecticut.


Disclaimer: WDC seeks to provide accurate, effective and responsible information on resolving human/wildlife conflicts. We welcome suggestions, criticisms to help us achieve this goal. The information provided is for informational purposes only and users of the information use it at their own risk. The reader must consult state/federal officials to determine the legality of any technique in the reader's locale. Some techniques are dangerous to the user and to others. WDC encourages readers to obtain appropriate training (see our informational literature at our Store ), and understand that proper animal damage control involves patience, understanding that not every technique/method works for every situation or even 100% of the time. Your use of this information is governed by this understanding. We welcome potential users of the information and photos to simply ask for permission via e-mail. Finally, WDC welcomes e-mail but understand that all e-mails become property of Wildlife Damage Control.